Monday, December 24, 2007

It's a good tree...

It just needs a little bit of love. 

This post is mainly to get my last, far more depressing post off the top of my blog. But also...

Due to the oft-ranted about FauxNews "War On Christmas," I'd just like to add my two cents:
Christmas hasn't been about Christianity in a long, long time.  Ever since the following image,in my humble opinion.

That's assuming that it ever WAS about the birth of baby Jesus.  There's a lot of debate of the when of the Hosiah's birth, from what I've read. Could it possibly be that for early Christians missionaries it was merely was a convenient replacement for the pagan Winter Solstice? Nooo, couldn't be....that would be like claiming that Easter is really a replacement festival for the Spring Equinox, a celebration of rebirth and renewal, sheer crazy-talk.

But historical debate aside, I don't see the problem with Christmas not being a religious holiday. Having been a Buddhist since my mid-teens, I grappled with the moral issue fairly early on...I didn't want to not participate or get presents (or give them, for that matter) but also not wanting to participate in a christian holiday.  

Thusly, my justification was born!  To me, Christmas is like Thanksgiving: everyone can celebrate, regardless of race or creed! My apologies to Native Americans, of course.

So when I hear about the war on Christmas, I smile.  There's nothing more I love than a good, pointless war.  All the nutty christians trying to but the Christ back in haven't got nothing on the multinational corporations who make billions of billions in December, not to mention the money they make in January from the late credit card bills.  It's never been about Jesus, its as Michael Scott says, "A time where you can say, "Hey man, I like you THIS many dollars worth."

1 comment:

Mike Guardabascio said...

we have alarmingly similar christmas views, dear friend. also, how nice was it to have less bitching about the war on christmas this year? very nice, in my opinny.